Admission of Undocumented Students

Main Content

Instilled in us by our eighth President, Delyte Morris, SIU has a long-lasting belief that every person deserves the same level of opportunity, regardless of race, nationality, gender, economic circumstance or physical limitations.

Through President Obama’s 2012 policy, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), undocumented students under 31 who meet certain criteria can apply for two-year deferrals excluding them from deportation. This allows for the student to obtain an Illinois driver’s license, a Social Security Card and a work permit.

Delyte Morris Statue

Tuition and Cost of Education for DACA and Undocumented Students

While DACA and Undocumented students are not eligible to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), undocumented and DACA students are eligible for select scholarships and can take advantage of the many student employment opportunities at SIU.

Undocumented Illinois Residents and IL DACA students can qualify for residency through IL Public Act 93-0007. To be considered, students should complete an Affidavit of Intent to File an Application to Become a Permanent Resident of the United States and submit the official high school transcript upon graduation.

Undocumented and DACA students who reside outside of IL can qualify for the domestic tuition rate.  To be considered, students should complete an Affidavit of Intent to File an Application to Become a Permanent Resident of the United States and submit the official high school transcript upon graduation.

Admission to SIU for DACA and Undocumented Students

You can get to know SIU by visiting campus or attending an open house. If you already know we’re the right fit for you, you can apply online. To be considered for admission, you must submit:

  • A completed application for admission.
  • A $40 non-refundable application fee. Fees may be waived for students who meet certain income levels. See your high school guidance counselor for details.
  • Current, official transcripts from each high school and college you’ve attended. All transcripts must be issued within the last 30 days and be contained in official sealed envelopes. A final high school transcript will be required upon graduation and completion of all high school course work.
  • An official copy of ACT or SAT. These must be sent directly from the testing organization or listed on your official high school transcript. Our school codes are 1144 for ACT and 1726 for SAT.
  • Transfer students are required to submit official transcripts from every college or university attended. Students who have earned less than 26 transferable semester hours will be required to submit official high school transcripts and ACT or SAT test scores. Students requesting consideration for residency and some Alternate Tuition Rates should submit official high school transcripts as well.
Find out more about DACA