Returning Students

Main Content

SIU non-traditional students

Returning students, welcome back!

If you’ve been away from college long enough that the collegiate environment seems intimidating, you’ve come to the right place. Pick up where you left off, or come back for a second bachelor's degree. SIU is recognized for diversity, friendliness, and accessibility as well as for research and intellectual achievement.  

If you have previously attended SIU, we have your original records and your SIU work on file. However, you must send an official transcript from each college you have attended since leaving SIU. We will re-admit you if you left SIU in good standing with a C average and if you have an overall C average (2.0 on a 4.0=A scale), by our calculation, for any work attempted since leaving SIU. Re-entry students may not automatically qualify for direct entry into a program that requires additional materials and/or screening.

Please send college transcripts to:
Transfer Student Services
MC 4725
1263 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901

Former SIU students who left the University with less than a C average may be eligible for the Academic Renewal Program. Program eligibility requirements and academic regulations are all included on the Academic Renewal Program Application. Please note that it is not an application for admission. You must first apply for readmission to the University by submitting an Application for Admission. If you choose to apply for the Academic Renewal Program, you should submit that application soon after sending the admission application. Applications to The Academic Renewal Program will not be considered if submitted after the first term of attendance as a re-entry student.
If you are returning to college, but are new to SIU, whether for a second bachelor's degree or to finish where you left off, here’s where you can apply online. You can also explore non-traditional student housing options or on-campus employment.

New to SIU and Applying as a Transfer Student

Do you have 26 transferable semester hours or 39 quarter hours and a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (as calculated by SIUC grading policies)? You could be eligible to be admitted as a transfer student.

New to SIU and Applying as a Freshman

If you have graduated or will graduate from high school or equivalent, but have not completed college coursework after high school, you should apply as a freshman.